Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sports are Weird

1) The World Series no one saw coming starts tonight. And, suddenly, San Francisco is a baseball town. And even though it's clear that the NY Times is only sad that the Bronx Bombers aren't in it - even opening their Series preview with that sentiment - they do have a point. I mean, I'm pulling for the Giants. But I must say, I have way more Facebook friends who are Giants fans this week than I did last week.

2) The Miami Heat lost their season opener to Boston last night, 88-80. More importantly, however, Portland beat the Phoenix Suns, 106-92, and are undefeated for the season. Go Blazers!

3) Tennessee coach and crazy person Derek Dooley is in a bit of trouble over the following quote explaining his exasperation with his team's struggles:

"Right now we're like the Germans in World War II. Here comes the boats, they're coming. You have the binoculars, and it's like, 'Oh, my God, the invasion is coming.' That's what they did, they were in the bunkers. It's coming, they call Rommel -- they can't find Rommel. (Pretending to speak into a radio.) 'What do we do? I'm not doing anything until I get orders.' (Pretends to look through binoculars.) 'Have you gotten Rommel yet?'"

He continued: "I don't want the German people to get upset at me. I'm not attacking them, but that's what happened. You had one group, they weren't worried about what the plan was and orders and all that. When the war hits, things change. You've got to go. "
A few observations: A) I love that he pantomimes speaking into a radio and looking through binoculars. B) I love how in his analogy his own team is the Wermacht. C) I love how he realizes that he may have said something inappropriate, and then makes his apology to the Germans. D) Can anyone honestly criticize him when perhaps the most popular play in all of American Football is called the "blitz"?

No comments:

Post a Comment