Saturday, November 20, 2010

How Good Is Boise State Really?

"Dearth" is one of my favorite words. It is Old English in its origins, from dierth or deore. It is, itself, a very old word, first used in a recognizable form in the 1400s, and hasn't actually changed much since then. It is related to "dear," in the sense of something being valuable because there is a lack of it.

This week, there is a dearth of good college football games.

The top 3 BCS teams - Oregon, Auburn, and TCU - all have bye weeks this week. No. 4 Boise State (they're 3rd in the AP) crushed the Fresno State Bulldogs last night 51-0. I watched that game last night when I was out at a bar with Robyn and her library friends. At first I did really good. I sat with my back to the TV. I engaged in conversation. I listened. But then the bar started blasting salsa music. And the conversation turned to grad school departmental gossip. And I had another Manhattan. And I found myself craning my neck more and more often to watch the Broncos demolish the Bulldogs on that crazy blue field. (When I turned around, everyone had left the table to go salsa dancing.)

It's impossible to eyeball exactly how good Boise State is based on a game like they played last night. I would say that there were probably 3 plays when Kellen Moore made a pass that just made me go, "Oh my God!" But then there were probably 3 other plays when I said to myself, "Hmmm... Fresno State's defense really can't cover." That's the traditional knock against BSU: sure they're good, but they never really get challenged. However, I think that the WAC is better than a lot of people give it credit for being, and that Boise State may really just be that dominant.

Now, let's be absolutely clear: In a world where there are four undefeated teams at the end of the season, the Pac-10 and SEC champs get in before the WAC and MWC champs. But this season, against the six BCS conferences plus the Mountain West, the WAC is 11-15. That's not good, but it's respectable. This includes Boise's wins against Virginia Tech and Oregon State. It also includes Hawaii's win against Army, Nevada's wins against Cal and BYU. (And Fresno State's win against, um, Cincinnati.) It also includes Hawaii's 49-36 loss to USC, Utah State's 31-24 loss to Oklahoma, and San Jose State's 27-14 loss to Wisconsin. (Who currently leads Michigan 24-0.)

We'll know a lot more after Boise State plays #18 Nevada. But my point is this: If Auburn loses to Alabama, but then turns around to beat South Carolina and win the SEC, there is no way that they should get in to the NC ahead of an undefeated Boise State. The Broncos competition is stiff enough that, when added to their wins against Oregon State and the likely ACC champion Virginia Tech, they would be more deserving than any 1-loss SEC team.

1 comment:

  1. I am rooting for an Oregon vs. Boise St. national championship game. possible?

    ReplyDelete