Saturday, November 13, 2010

I Have a Weekly Column Called "Muse-ings"

2:08 pm - Iowa is trying to make a last minute drive, down 21-17 to Northwestern. How many passes have the Hawkeyes receiving corps dropped on this drive? At least four by my count.

Wisconsin is beating Indiana 83-20 right now. At football. That's a pretty strong case for why they should be the Big Ten's top team.

Final Score: Northwestern 21, Iowa 17. Doesn't look like Iowa's going to the Rose Bowl this year.

Earlier, the ESPN commentator said that "No team in the Big Ten controls it's own destiny." Surely that can't be right?

Minnesota just took a 38-34 lead over Illinois with 16 seconds left. This game is being played right down the street; I can hear the cheers from my living room. Another heartbreak for the Illini?

Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State each have one loss in the Big Ten. Michigan State lost to Iowa, Wisconsin lost to Michigan State, Ohio State lost to Wisconsin. The Buckeyes still have to win at Iowa. But I believe that if all three win out, Michigan State will get the Rose Bowl bid. (Of course, that also means that it's very likely that a No. 7 Wisconsin (11-1) could get shut out of a BCS game.)

Final Score: Minnesota 38, Illinois 34. So sad. Now it's looking tough for the Illini to become bowl eligible: They have to win either against Northwestern at Wrigley Field, or at Fresno State in their last game of the season.

2:30 pm - Notre Dame 14, Utah 3. Whaa--a-a-t?

2:41 pm-Cam Newton and Auburn are taking the field against Georgia. All CBS is talking about are the "allegations" against Newton. I don't care. I feel like, although I may be rooting against Auburn, I am rooting for Newton. No schadenfreude here.

Besides, I think that I really want to see an Oregon-Auburn championship. If it turns out to be Oregon-TCU or Oregon-Boise State, then even the Ducks winning won't shut up the SEC. "Sure, anyone can beat Boise, " they'll say. Even though I would love an Oregon-Boise championship, as it would be awesome to make them not just real rivals but epic rivals, in a way that I think Boise and Eugene always should have been rivals, somebody needs to play the SEC champ and beat them.

2:55 pm - Touchdown, Cam and the Newtonians. Could be a loooooong day to be a Bulldog.

2:59 pm - Penn State's starting QB today is "Matt McGloin." And he is out to slay the mighty dragon that is the Buckeye defense, that has stolen his clan's Big Ten gold and is currently hoarding it in the Lonely Mountain that is Columbus, Ohio. (Yes! Tolkien reference #1!)

And he just threw a touchdown pass.

3:10 pm Georgia 4th and 2 and... Touchdown! (I want the Ducks to take apart this Auburn defense.)

3:31 pm - San Diego St. 14, TCU 0. Georgia 21, Auburn 7. Awww sheeeiiit. I love college football. (In case you were wondering, Auburn is giving up 24.3 points per game. But that includes a 52-3 win versus UL-Monroe and a 65-43 win versus Arkansas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment